In August 2015, Russia began to send Russian-operated warplanes, T-90 tanks and artillery, as well as combat troops to an airbase near the port city of Latakia in Syria. On 26 August 2015, a treaty was signed between Russia and Syria that stipulated terms and conditions of use by Russia of Syria's Hmeimim airport, free of charge and with no time limit. The treaty, ratified by Russia′s parliament in October 2016, grants Russia′s personnel and their family members jurisdictional immunity and other privileges as envisaged by Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations.
By late February 2016, the Russian airstrikes conducted around 60 airstrikes daily, while the American-led coalition averaged seven. These Russian airstrikes have proven particularly effective against ISIS oil trade and supply routes in the Syrian Desert. An estimated 209 Syrian oil facilities were destroyed by the airstrikes, along with 2,000 petroleum transport equipment. By the time of the ordered withdrawal of the "main part" of its forces in mid-March, Russia had conducted over 9,000 airstrikes over the course of five and a half months, while helping the Syrian Army capture 400 towns and acquire 10,000 square kilometers of territory.
Syrians celebrate Christmas after the full Liberation of Aleppo.
Raqqah the Capital and hub of operations for ISIS.
- Rand Paul reminded the president via Twitter that he once opposed the Obama administration’s intention to strike Syria in 2013, and also that Trump said at the time that any such action would require congressional authority.
- “This marks the fourth recent U.S. attack on Syrian government forces as they engage ISIS in attempt to eject the terrorists from eastern Syria,” Ron Paul continued. “Each time, U.S. intervention has benefited ISIS.”
- As Syria’s war enters its endgame, the risk of a US-Russia conflict escalates.
- McMaster the new Westmoreland (another costly folly)
- The 3rd World War was planned long ago.
The Defense Intelligence Agency has recently released a “Russian Military Power 2017” report.
Notes on the upcoming meeting between Presidents Trump and Putin on the sidelines of the G20. Written by TheSaker July 3rd 2017