Sunday, March 17, 2024

The Book of Enoch: Chapters XXV - XXXV

Chapter XXV

1. From thence I proceeded to the middle of the earth, and beheld a happy and fertile spot, which contained branches continually sprouting from the trees which were planted in it. There I saw a holy mountain, and underneath it water on the eastern side, which flowed towards the south. I saw also on the east another mountain as high as that ; and between them there were deep, but not wide valleys.
2. Water ran towards the mountain to the west of this ; and underneath there was likewise another mountain.
3. There was a valley, but not a wide one, below it; and in the midst of them were other deep and dry valleys towards the extremity of the three. All these valleys, which were deep, but not wide, consisted of a strong rock, with a tree which was planted in them. And I wondered at the rock and at the valleys, being extremely surprised.


Chapter XVI

1. Then I said. What means this blessed land, all these lofty trees, and the accursed valley between them ?
2. Then Uriel, one of the holy angels who were with me, replied, This valley is the accursed of the accursed for ever. Here shall be collected all who utter with their mouths unbecoming language against God, and speak harsh things of His glory. Here shall they be collected. Here shall be their territory.
o. In the latter days an example of judgment shall be made of them in righteousness before the saints : while those who have received mercy shall for ever, all their days, bless God, the everlasting King.
4. And at the period of judgment shall they bless Him for his mercy, as He has distributed it to them. Then I blessed God, addressing myself to Him, and making mention, as was meet, of His greatness.


Chapter XXVII

1. From thence I proceeded towards the east, to the middle of the mountain in the desert, the level surface only of which I perceived.
2. It was full of trees of the seed alluded to ; and water leaped down upon it.
3. There appeared a cataract composed as of many cataracts both towards the west and towards the east. Upon one side were trees ; upon the other water and dew.


Chapter XXVIII

1. Then I went to another place from the desert, towards the east of that mountain which I had approached.
2. There I beheld choice trees, particularly those which produce the sweet-smelling drugs, frankin- cense and myrrh; and trees unlike to each other.
3. And over it, above them, was the elevation of the eastern mountain at no great distance.


Chapter XXIX

1. I likewise saw another place with valleys of water which never wasted,
2. Where I perceived a goodly tree, which in smell resembled Zasakinon.
3. And towards the sides of these valleys I perceived cinnamon of a sweet odour. Over them I advanced towards the east.


Chapter XXX

1. Then I beheld another mountain containing trees, from which water flowed like Neketro. Its name was Sarira, and Kalboneba. And upon this mountain I beheld another mountain, upon which were trees of Alva.
2. These trees were full, like almond trees, and strong ; and when they produced fruit, it was superior to all perfume.


Chapter XXXI

1. After these things, surveying the entrances of the north, above the mountains, I perceived seven mountains replete with pure nard, odoriferous trees, cinnamon and papyrus.
2. From thence I passed on above the summits of those mountains to some distance eastwards, and went over the Erythraean sea. And when I was advanced far beyond it, I passed along above the angel Zateel, and arrived at the garden of righteousness. In this garden I beheld, among other trees, some which were numerous and large, and which flourished there.
3. Their fragrance was agreeable and powerful, and their appearance both varied and elegant. The tree of knowledge also was there, of which if any one eats, he becomes endowed with great wisdom.
4. It was like a species of the tamarind tree, bearing fruit which resembled grapes extremely tine; and its fragrance extended to a considerable distance. I exclaimed, How beautiful is this tree, and how delightful is its appearance
5. Then holy Raphael, an angel who was with me, answered and said. This is the tree of knowledge, of which thy ancient father and thy aged mother ate, who were before thee ; and who, obtaining knowledge, their eyes being opened, and knowing themselves to be naked, were expelled from the garden.


Chapter XXXII

1. From thence I went on towards the extremities of the earth ; where I saw large beasts different from each other, and birds various in their countenances and forms, as well as with notes of different sounds.
2. To the east of these beasts I perceived the extremities of the earth, where heaven ceased. The gates of heaven stood open, and I beheld the celestial stars come forth. I numbered them as they proceeded out of the gate, and wrote them all down, as they came out one by one according to their number. I wrote down their names altogether, their times and their seasons, as the angel Uriel, who was with me, pointed them out to me.
3. He showed them all to me, and wrote down an account of them.
4. He also wrote down for me their names, their regulations, and their operations.


Chapter XXXIII

1. From thence I advanced on towards the north, to the extremities of the earth.
2. And there I saw a great and glorious wonder at the extremities of the whole earth.
3. I saw there heavenly gates opening into heaven ; three of them distinctly separated. The northern winds proceeded from them, blowing cold, hail, frost, snow, dew, and rain.
4. From one of the gates they blew mildly; but when they blew from the two otJier gates, it was with violence and force. They blew over the earth strongly.


Chapter XXXIV

1. From thence I went to the extremities of the world westwards
2. Where I perceived three gates open, as I had seen in the north ; the gates and passages through them being of equal magnitude.


Chapter XXXV

1. Then I proceeded to the extremities of the earth southwards ; where I saw three gates open to the south, from which issued dew, rain, and wind.
2. From thence I went to the extremities of heaven eastwards; where I saw three heavenly gates open to the east, which had smaller gates within them. Through each of these small gates the stars of heaven passed on, and proceeded towards the west by a path which was seen by them, and that at every period of their appearance.
3. When I beheld them, I blessed ; every time in which they appeared, I blessed the Lord of glory, who had made those great and splendid signs, that they might display the magnificence of his works to angels and to the souls of men ; and that these might glorify all his works and operations ; might see the effect of his power ; might glorify the great labour of his hands ; and bless him for ever.

Next ...

More...

On this Blog: Posts referencing Scriptures

No comments:

Post a Comment